Friday, June 19, 2009

Pasta

I love experimenting with food. I cannot use the recipe thoroughly and even if I follow the recipes, I usually tend to change it during the process. I don't know why I do it every time. May be because basically I am the kind of person who always tries to find out different ways to do a thing than the regular set of rules or procedure. And in food I generally would try to change to make it simpler and easier so that it suits my taste buds without actually spending too much time in the kitchen. Another reason may probably be because my recipes are never planned in advance. I usually cook whatever I feel like eating at that time unless I am expecting guests.
I had a close friend visiting me last night and she actually loves pasta the way I make it.
Here is how I made pasta last night:

Pasta

Penne Pasta-250g
Beans - 50g
Carrot - 50g
Cabbage - 50g
Mushroom - 50g
Onion - 1 (chopped)
Tomato-2 medium sized
Garlic - 10 cloves
Cooking Oil - 4tsp
Salt- 3tsp
Pepper -1/2tsp
Oregano-1/2tsp
Chilly flakes-1/2tsp

For the white sauce:
Milk - 2 cups
Butter - 75g
Cornflour - 4tsp
Melt the butter in a pan. Then add cornflour to it. Let it cook for 2mins. Remove from heat. Add this to 1 cup of milk and shake well. Keep aside

Finely chop onions, beans, carrots, cabbage and mushrooms.
Grind the Tomatoes and garlic cloves together into a smooth paste.
Boil 4 cups of water and add the chopped vegetables to it except the onion.
When the vegetables are half cooked, remove from heat and drain out excess water.
Heat 8 cups of water in a vessel. Add 1 tsp oil and 1/2 tsp salt to this. When the water comes to boil add the pasta. Let it cook for 15mins or till done. Remove from heat and drain out water.
In a pan heat 2tsp oil and saute the onions. Add the chopped vegetables after a while.
Add the tomato garlic paste to it. Cook for 5mins stirring occasionally. Add salt, pepper, chilly flakes and oregano to this. When the tomatoes are well cooked, add the pasta and mix well on the heat. Cook for 5mins. Add the white sauce mixture to this and 1 cup water. Let it simmer for sometime.
Serve hot with garlic bread or any bread of choice.
I toast the brown bread and pat it with a lot of butter.
Last night I used the regular white bread toasted using salt, garlic paste and butter instead of ready made garlic bread and we had a hearty dinner.

No comments: